Saturday, August 13, 2011

Skull Rosaries

Although most of The Sacred Bead's customers come to enjoy the antique rosary beads, I have been getting requests for more skull rosaries- the two I had sold long ago and haven't been replaced yet. I am currently working on making some gorgeous ones and will have them on the website by the end of August.
I see many questions online about what and why skulls are placed on rosaries, as people have forgotten the long tradition in Europe of placing a skull on a rosary. Known as a momento mori, the skull is there as a contemplative tool for remembering our mortality and as a reminder of Christ's triumph over death. Antique rosaries used by priests and nuns in Europe frequently had skulls on them for this reason. Most of these beautiful antique rosaries are quite rare and thus very expensive. As an more affordable alternative, modern rosaries made with skull beads make an excellent alternative. I do know that these have become quite popular and are frequently worn; it is not up to me to dictate what you do with a rosary you purchase from The Sacred Bead. Of course, I would love to see them exclusively used in prayer, but I am aware that that may not always be the case. 
As with all my designer rosaries, only the finest materials are used. Several skull rosaries will feature antique and vintage crucifixes. They may have coral, turquoise, or bone beads. The skulls are made from ox bone, palm nuts, magnesite and glass. Each one is unique, so once it is sold, there will never be another made just like it. When making rosaries, I avoid a lot of "fancy," instead I like to highlight the elegance and simplicity of beautiful natural materials.

 Antique and Vintage Crucifixes on Several of the Skull Rosaries.
 Skull beads are ox bone, magnesite and other materials. The ave beads are sea coral, ox bone, turquoise and other fine materials.



2 comments:

  1. Hi - I was researching an old crucifix I received which has a skull and crossbones on it and your blog came up in search. What a pleasant surprise too since I collect old rosaries!! Anyway I am now following your blog and you are welcome to check both of mine out at
    www.thewoodwife.blogspot.com
    www.marysgraces.blogspot.com

    Thanks for this great post it was very helpful!!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these skull rosaries. I want one.

    ReplyDelete