Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Two Essential Tools For Antique Rosary Owners

I just picked up one of my own antique rosaries and lo and behold, it was in two pieces! I keep quite a few pairs of tiny round nosed pliers handy and within a minute or two I had it hooked back together. I would strongly advise all antique and vintage rosary owners to keep a little pair of round nosed pliers close by for small rosary emergencies. These are easy to find in a bead shop or online. Look for pliers for beaders, some are actually called rosary pliers or wire wrapping pliers. Be sure to get the round nosed ones so you don't damage the links on the rosary. My favorite pair is the tiniest one I have. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I got them or I would get another pair just like them- the diameter of the tips of the pliers are tiny and they are simply perfect for antique rosaries.
The other tool I use almost constantly is a good magnifying lens. Again, I have several, but my favorite is a small one with an LED light and stand. I can work under the lit lens perfectly. Others are used to help identify hallmarks or bead material. A good jeweler's loop works well for all purposes.

Interesting rosary with multicolored enamel spacers on The Sacred Bead. This isn't the one that needed the repair this morning, just thought a post without a picture would be rather boring!

No comments:

Post a Comment